Monday, January 9, 2012

3 MOTHERS

KIM HYESOON

I agree with Korean poet Kim Hyesoon's sentiments about the word "mother" as a synonym for "parting," "separation" and "farewell." As a transracial adoptee, this word is naturally complex and problematic. I have more than one mother: the one who gave birth to me, the one who looked after me until I was adopted, and the one who adopted me. With each mother, I have almost irreconcilable feelings of parting, separation, farewell, and even betrayal. I accept these feelings as unresolvable. I do not have to resolve them. I can continue to feel them in a way that acknowledges the burden put on the concept of mother and motherhood, that acknowledges an expectation difficult if not impossible to satisfy. I can acknowledge the feelings in a way that fuels my work and my life in the only way such intense and wonderfully disturbing feelings can.

No comments:

Post a Comment